Requesting Medical Records from a Jail

Asked almost 2 years ago - Merced, CA

I am requesting medical records from a jail and have been informed that a subpoena is required. I have a signed Disclosure of Healthcare Information form. A little research turned up the HIPAA act. I am okay with a subpoena, procedure is procedure. However, I am unclear why a Protective Order must be attached. Why is this necessary if the client has consented? Is the provider protected by this order?

Thank you.

1. Harry Edward Hudson Jr

1

Answered . I do not believe you need a protective orderwhen you have a release of information that is HIPAA compliant. Suggest that you call the jail and speak to the medical staff about the particulars. Do they want to come to court or provide the documents that the client has authorized. You are willing to accomodate their wish.