Requesting continuance for small claims appeal/trial de novo: Possible to ask for an earlier trial date?

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

I received notice of a small claims appeal (trial de novo). I will be out of state on the date of the trial. Does the LASC ever accommodate requests to move the trial to an earlier date, rather than a later date?

1. Hillary Johns

2

Answered . They usually set it put later if you request a continuance. You can always ask to advance the trial date although the other side has the right to request another date.

2. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

2

Answered . It is very unusual to advance a trial date, absent a stipulation of all parties. Most likely, the court will continue (postpone) the trial de novo date if you are not available on that date.