Requesting continuance for small claims appeal/trial de novo: Possible to ask for an earlier trial date?

I received notice of a small claims appeal (trial de novo). I will be out of state on the date of the trial. Does the LASC ever accommodate requests to move the trial to an earlier date, rather than a later date?

They usually set it put later if you request a continuance. You can always ask to advance the trial date although the other side has the right to request another date.

You are welcome to call Ms. Johns' offices for a free or low cost consultation at (866) 402-4038. Please note that Ms. Johns is a lawyer although she is not your lawyer unless you have signed a written fee or letter agreement confirming her office's representation of you. This email does not otherwise constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship.

It is very unusual to advance a trial date, absent a stipulation of all parties. Most likely, the court will continue (postpone) the trial de novo date if you are not available on that date.

Frank W. Chen has been licensed to practice law in California since 1988. The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice for a particular case. This Avvo.com posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, please consult with your own attorney.