Request to be removed as representative payee due to concerns of beneficiary money misuse.

Merrill, WI |

What is the process to be removed as representative payee. A concern of the beneficiary misusing their funds and not keeping their receipts as directed is becoming an issue for a friend of mine. Her brother is disabled due to a drug overdose. She became his representative payee when his father turned it over to her. She would like to be removed. He is not following requests to keep receipts and she is not able to account for his spending. What can be done?

1. Contact the branch of the Social Security Administration you deal with or take a look at this page on payee's rights and responsibilities. It has contact numbers you may find useful. http://www.ssa.gov/payee/faqrep.htm#a0=12

2. Contact the local SSA offce. If you cannot get removed as representative payee in that fashion, contact a local estate planning/probate lawyer. Good luck.

3. I agree with my colleagues. the best way is to contact the Social Security Administration directly. I suggest that you go to your local branch in person for clarity on the process by which you can remove yourself as representative payee.

4. Here is a link to an attorney legal guide here on Avvo that provides some good info on payee help.

Good luck to you!

http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/what-is-a-social-security-representative-payee

The exact answers to questions like this require more information than presented. The answer(s) provided should be considered general information. The information provided by this is general advice, and is not legal advice. Viewing this information is not intended to create, and does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. It is intended to educate the reader and a more definite answer should be based on a consultation with a lawyer. You should not take any action that might affect your claim without first seeking the professional opinion of an attorney. You should consult an attorney who can can ask all the appropriate questions and give legal advice based on the exact facts of your situation. The general information provided here does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Social security topics