Request to be removed as representative payee due to concerns of beneficiary money misuse.

Asked over 1 year ago - Merrill, WI

What is the process to be removed as representative payee. A concern of the beneficiary misusing their funds and not keeping their receipts as directed is becoming an issue for a friend of mine. Her brother is disabled due to a drug overdose. She became his representative payee when his father turned it over to her. She would like to be removed. He is not following requests to keep receipts and she is not able to account for his spending. What can be done?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Nicholas C. Zales

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Contact the branch of the Social Security Administration you deal with or take a look at this page on payee's rights and responsibilities. It has contact numbers you may find useful.

  2. Jason Todd Studinski

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Contact the local SSA offce. If you cannot get removed as representative payee in that fashion, contact a local estate planning/probate lawyer. Good luck.

  3. Ingrid Arnalda Morfa

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with my colleagues. the best way is to contact the Social Security Administration directly. I suggest that you go to your local branch in person for clarity on the process by which you can remove yourself as representative payee.

  4. Clifford Michael Farrell

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Here is a link to an attorney legal guide here on Avvo that provides some good info on payee help.

    Good luck to you!

    The exact answers to questions like this require more information than presented. The answer(s) provided should... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,954 answers this week

2,969 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,954 answers this week

2,969 attorneys answering