Request to be removed as representative payee due to concerns of beneficiary money misuse.

Asked over 1 year ago - Merrill, WI

What is the process to be removed as representative payee. A concern of the beneficiary misusing their funds and not keeping their receipts as directed is becoming an issue for a friend of mine. Her brother is disabled due to a drug overdose. She became his representative payee when his father turned it over to her. She would like to be removed. He is not following requests to keep receipts and she is not able to account for his spending. What can be done?

1. Nicholas C. Zales

5

Answered . Contact the branch of the Social Security Administration you deal with or take a look at this page on payee's rights and responsibilities. It has contact numbers you may find useful. http://www.ssa.gov/payee/faqrep.htm#a0=12

2. Jason Todd Studinski

4

Answered . Contact the local SSA offce. If you cannot get removed as representative payee in that fashion, contact a local estate planning/probate lawyer. Good luck.

3. Ingrid Arnalda Morfa

3

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. the best way is to contact the Social Security Administration directly. I suggest that you go to your local branch in person for clarity on the process by which you can remove yourself as representative payee.

4. Clifford Michael Farrell

1

Answered . Here is a link to an attorney legal guide here on Avvo that provides some good info on payee help.

Good luck to you!

http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/what-is-a-...