Request for Production of Documents

As an In Pro Per plaintiff in my civil case , I requested that the defendant's documents be made available to me for inspection at their attorney's office , since I do not have an office . However , I realize what I should have done was requested that the copies be sent to me by mail instead . Is there a way I can correct this and ask that the copies be mailed ?

Sure. Give opposing counsel a call, agree that they will be mailed (that is probably what opposing counsel will do, anyway) and confirm in writing. I am sure opposing counsel will be more than happy to cooperate.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

The Rules of Evidence do not require that the documents be mailed anywhere, only that they be made available for inspection and copying. However, most attorneys will extend the courtesy of mailing if requested. Be polite, and mail a letter to opposing counsel requesting that production be sent to your address (or emailed to you in .pdf format).

If your opponent has availed himself/herself of the assistance of counsel, it would be a mistake if you did not do the same. Do yourself a favor and consult with an attorney before you get yourself stuck in a quagmire of discovery (or worse yet-- evidentiary hangups when trying to admit those documents at trial).

You can also ask opposing counsel to send you a CD with all the produced documents (if you get a hard time about copy/postage costs, which I doubt).

The information/answer is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. Consult an attorney regarding your individual situation. This attorney is only licensed to practice law in California. Your question and this answer do not create an attorney-client relationship. Do not send/post any confidential information. For more information, visit: www.thesandiegolawfirm.com

The typical request for production of documents (i.e. demand for inspection of documents) state tat they need to make the documents available for inspection, however, attorneys know to just mail the documents out to the requestor. They may automatically mail them to you. However, you should call them to clarify.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. The above answer is for general information only and is based on the information you posted. Every case is fact dependent, so to get a thorough analysis of your situation, you will need to consult face to face with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where the incident took place. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case. No attorney-client relationship shall be created through the use reading of this response on Avvo. You should never delay seeking legal advice, disregard legal advice, or commence or discontinue any legal action because of information in this response.