Request for Production of Documents

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

As an In Pro Per plaintiff in my civil case , I requested that the defendant's documents be made available to me for inspection at their attorney's office , since I do not have an office . However , I realize what I should have done was requested that the copies be sent to me by mail instead . Is there a way I can correct this and ask that the copies be mailed ?

1. Michael Raymond Daymude

Pro

7

Answered . Sure. Give opposing counsel a call, agree that they will be mailed (that is probably what opposing counsel will do, anyway) and confirm in writing. I am sure opposing counsel will be more than happy to cooperate.

2. Adrienne Patricia Allen

5

Answered . The typical request for production of documents (i.e. demand for inspection of documents) state tat they need to make the documents available for inspection, however, attorneys know to just mail the documents out to the requestor. They may automatically mail them to you. However, you should call them to clarify.

3. John Joseph O'Brien

4

Answered . You can also ask opposing counsel to send you a CD with all the produced documents (if you get a hard time about copy/postage costs, which I doubt).

4. Ian Thomas Valkenet

Pro

4

Answered . The Rules of Evidence do not require that the documents be mailed anywhere, only that they be made available for inspection and copying. However, most attorneys will extend the courtesy of mailing if requested. Be polite, and mail a letter to opposing counsel requesting that production be sent to your address (or emailed to you in .pdf format).

If your opponent has availed himself/herself of the assistance of counsel, it would be a mistake if you did not do the same. Do yourself a favor and consult with an attorney before you get yourself stuck in a quagmire of discovery (or worse yet-- evidentiary hangups when trying to admit those documents at trial).