Request for more information or evidence on i-130 case. What does this mean?

Detroit, MI |

I checked my case status online at the USCIS website and it says they sent me a notice requesting more evidence and information about my case. I havent recieved it by mail so i dont know exactly what it means. Could it be an interveiw or how does this work exactly?

1. Request for Evidence (RFE) can be sent for variety of reasons, but usually, before the interview, it is because some initial information is missing. You did not indicate whether it was a stand-alone petition or one filed in conjunction with adjustment of status. I suggest you wait until the letter comes in the mail (make sure your address is correct on USCIS record), and read the RFE carefully. You will likely have almost three months to respond. Consult an experienced attorney if there is anything you have difficulty answering.

2. Did you also apply for permanent residence (I-485) at the same time?

What does the Request for Evidence ask for, specifically? You will need to pay very close attention to the letter from USCIS, and respond within the time limits listed.

I suggest that you consult with an experienced immigration attorney about this case.

Michael Carlin
    Immigration Attorney

Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC
    3365 Washtenaw Avenue, Suite 209
    Ann Arbor, Michigan 48104
    Phone: 734.369.3131
    Fax: 734.259.4801
    Website: mcarlinlaw.com Sitio en español: mcarlinlaw.com/es/
    Email: mike@mcarlinlaw.com

(734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC or any individual member of the office. Confidential information should not be sent through this form.

3. The request for evidence is sent out when an individual does not supply all the information required by USCIS. Contact USCIS to figure out when the letter was sent out. The letter will tell you what additional evidence is required. If you have a hard time understanding the process, contact an immigration attorney to guide you through the process.

This is general information and not legal advise. This communication does not create a lawyer-client relationship.

4. If it's a marriage based I-130, then they are likely seeking more evidence of a bona fide marriage.