Request for Evidence - OPT Extension for STEM students!

Minneapolis, MN |

I graduated December 2011 and was issued an OPT from Feb 2012 until Feb 2013. I was laid off by my employer's clients and was told that if I extended my OPT they would provide another job for me. I applied for OPT extension at the beginning of Feb 2013 using the company's e-verification number. I recently received a letter of evidence from DHS and they need my employer to provide it's e-verification number. My employer refused to give me that information because I no longer work for them. Other job opportunities have been offered but they are not everified, except for one that I am anticipating a job offer soon. My OPT extension is still pending and I don't have an e-verification number to give DHS. What steps do I take from here and what is the likelihood that my OPT EXT will be approved?

You should probably withdraw your application and apply for H-1B with another employer.

If I withdrew my OPT application, then get a job offer, can I reapply for an OPT extension if an H1B visa may not be provided by the new employer?

Without providing the requested documentation, the OPT will be denied.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

You cannot ignore RFE. You will get a denial.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.