Reported animal abuse to the police and I know who the animals belong to what will happen next? Also will I remain anonymous ?

Asked about 1 year ago - Ware, MA

The cats are skin and bones and look like they can barely walk. My aunt and I went to the store to go to get a box of food 2 cans of wet food and some water to feed them. we witnessed the owners taking the animals inside. I did report it to the police . The backbones were showing and they were covered in dirt and grime. so what will happen next? Police said that they would report it to the investagater. what happens next to these animals

1. Keith G Langer

Pro

3

Answered . Make sure YOU call the Animal Control Officer and also follow up with the police.

Do you have a camera? Photograph the cats if you have an opportunity.

Complaints should be confidential. However, I have known an ACO who babbled the complainant's name to the offending party. If that happens, a call to your selectmen may be in order.

The foregoing is for general information purposes and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.
  2. Julie Court Molloy

2

Answered . Hopefully the animal control officer will investigate and if necessary place the cats in a shelter since it does not sound as though the owners are taking care of them. Cannot say with any certainty if your identity will remain anonymous, but you did a good thing, and owners can hardly complain where your concern was for the well-being of the cats in question.

3. E. Alexandra Golden

2

Answered . Please make sure to politely follow up on the complaint if you don't hear anything from the investigator. If possible, see if you can get the name and the number of the investigator so you can call directly. Are you able to able to take the cats in yourself? If so, do you think you can approach the neighbor and see if he'll let you?

4. Michelle L. Radloff

Answered . It is very important that you follow up with Animal Control -- otherwise this may get swept under the rug, so to speak. Be polite, but firm. Also, follow up with the police. If it goes to court, they may call you as a witness and you may not remain anonymous then -- however, you are saving lives.