Repercussions of putting someones first name and phone number on craigslist?

Pinellas Park, FL |

I put an ad up on craigslist with a girls first name and phone number. Under casual encounters, basically asking for dirty text messages. at 1:30 in the morning i got a call from a weird number. i let it toll to VM. When i check the VM the man states that he is from a sherrifs office (different county than im in) And that i need to leave this girl alone and that he is having the FBI look into the Fraud that i posted on craigslist. Is this really something the FBI needs to look into? Sounds like serious trouble. All i did was put her phone number. Not even a picture of her. Just her first name. Im really scared of whats going to happen. The girl doesnt know my info. Just my first name and phone number, email.

I looked up the phone number and it indeed was from the sherrifs office he stated he was from.

Deputies don't call and make threats, and they certainly don't tell you that they are turning cases over to other agencies. In fact, they almost never turn cases over to other agencies. Sounds like someone was lying to you, but I can't say for sure. Either way, I hope you learned your lesson.

The contents of this answer should be considered friendly advice, not legal advice (I'm a pretty friendly guy), and the answer should not be construed to constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, if you liked this answer as much as my big ego thinks you did, be sure to click the thumbs-up button!

When i look up the phone number they called from it says its from the sheriffs office that they stated they were calling from

He left a number to call about questions. Should i call back?

Brent Allan Rose

Brent Allan Rose

If it really is a deputy, you should have an attorney make that call for you.

Bruce E. Burdick

Bruce E. Burdick

Probably a spoofed caller ID. You should not call that number as the spoof may be designed to get you to, in effect, self-incriminate yourself by calling the sheriff and having to explain what you did.

It is interesting that the phone number that called you was the listed Sheriff's office number.

Yes, you could have some liability here. I would stop posting information on public forums about this. If you are contacted by the authorities in the future, don't say anything without hiring a lawyer before you speak.

This post is provided for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice specific to you. This general information is not a substitute for the advice of an attorney in your jurisdiction. The attorney client relationship is not established by this post.

(813) 247-8000 and he told me to call him back on (813) 247-8555

How do i delete this post?

The brief answer is that it depends on the privacy rights in Florida. Nevertheless, in most states there are no criminal penalties for such activity, UNLESS your state has enacted some type of anti-bullying statutes. This type of activity could fall under such a statute and subject you to legal recourse. Just remove the post and stop doing things of this nature.

The answer to the question above is general advice and does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship between you and I. Before pursuing any course of action relating to the question herein, you should consult an attorney.

Don't fall for that probable spoof. Surely you don't plan to call the sheriff and self-incriminate by explaining what you did and asking if they called.

I am not your lawyer and you are not my client. Free advice here is without recourse and any reliance thereupon is at your sole risk. This is done without compensation as a free public service. I am licensed in IL, MO, TX and I am a Reg. Pat. Atty. so advice in any other jurisdiction is strictly general advice and should be confirmed with an attorney licensed in that jurisdiction.