Repayment of a Personal Loan - IRS implications

Coppell, TX |

Over the course of 3 years, I borrowed 36K from a friend. I will be receiving a lawsuit settlement in the amount of 80K within the next day or so (all legal fees deducted), I want to repay my friend the money I borrowed, but I'm not clear on the tax implications or the best way to proceed. Depositing more that 10K in my bank account may trigger some flags.

1. Most lawsuit proceeds are taxable, and the payor will likely require you to send them a W-9 so they can 1099 you for the amount of proceeds. The proceeds may go to your lawyer, who is only taxed on their share of the money, just as you're only taxed on your share.

None of this has anything to do with your debt and your repayment. Your lender should report any interest on this loan as income.

Avvo doesn't pay us for these responses, and I'm not your lawyer just because I answer this question or respond to any follow-up comments. If you want to hire me, please contact me. Otherwise, please don't expect a further response. We need an actual written agreement to form an attorney-client relationship. I'm only licensed in CA and you shouldn't rely on this answer, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it's impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue.