Renting out a room in my home in LA, CA

Asked over 4 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

Am I legally allowed to rent out a room in my home in LA, CA? From a legal standpoint what do I need to do this and what are my rights as a landlord? Any answers and resources are greatly appreciated.

1. Steven Alan Fink

Answered . You can rent the room. You should have a formal lease. The big concern is how much of the house do they get access to. Living Room? Dining Room? Attic? Garage? There are form leases on line, at stationery stores and through some realtors.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change.

2. Richard C Koman

Answered . You should thoroughly check out anyone you are going to have living in your home. You should definitely have a written lease. And if the rent is late, you should move promptly to obtain payment or evict.