Rented car for trip next month needed to change dates was told could not since they have no change or cancel policy.

Did not realize or see no chage no cancel policy, rental has been prepaid.Was told if change or cancelled would have to pay fo original rental. Neededto change since date for family visit had to be changed.

Buffalo, NY -

Richard E Weltman

Richard E Weltman

Business Attorney - New York, NY

I agree the rules about car rental contract change can be quite frustrating. Yet there is insufficient information presented by your question to answer you completely in this forum.

For instance, it is unknown whether what you describe will be viewed as an unfair business practice or legitimate rule applied to everyone fairly and transparently.

The first thing I suggest is that you carefully review the agency's terms and conditions posted online or on your reservation contract.

Note that car rental agencies are regulated in New York by various agencies including State Attorney General Eric Schneiderman. His office may be interested in hearing from you if a consumer fraud has been committed. I have provided a link to his office dealing with car rental practices and tips for consumers in New York. It is a starting point. You can also speak to a private consumer lawyer if you feel you wish to go further after speaking with the regulators in Albany.

I hope this insight is helpful to you. Good luck in getting this matter resolved to your complete satisfaction.