Rental agreement not renewed after 10 years because owner wants to rent to a relative. Was there an implied contract after 10

New Baltimore, MI |

I have been renting the same boat slip for 10 years, without any issues at the marina or with the marina owner. This year with out notice he did not send me a new rental agreement, after tracking the marina owner down and asking for my renewal he informed me that he is going to rent the well to his relative.

There is very little you can do except find another slip. You gain no property rights in a rental boat slip regardless of how long you have rented it. The owner, however, is guilty of very poor manners ans a lack of courtsey.

To the PROSPECTIVE client, please call myself or another attorney for your choice with more detaiils and an appointment. My PRELIMINARY answer to your question(s) is for general purposes and based upon what little information you have conveyed. It is based on such limited information that the general answer should never be relied as a reason for your action or inaction. My response does NOT establish an attorney-client relationship and such may only be established by mutual agreement, and the signing of a written retainer agreement, which will generally require payment for our services, as this is what we do for a living and, just like you, we must get paid for our work.. .

I agree with my colleague, Mr. Brennan. An implied contract arises only when there isn't an actual contract. Here, assuming your initial rental agreement wasn't for more than ten years, it sounds like you're out of luck.

My discussion with you regarding the question you posted on Avvo does not create an attorney-client relationship, nor is my response to your question to be considered legal advice. While I do my best to provide helpful responses given the factual scenario presented, proper analysis of any matter requires a more in-depth conversation than what is practical on Avvo. If you are a member of the military, or if an immediate family member of yours lost his or her life while fighting for our country, I am proud to offer a 10% discount on my fee.

I don't think there is an implied contract on these facts. Best of luck to you - Reese Serra

This advise is only being offered as a courtesy. We do not have an attorney-client relationship and I do not represent you. Additional, the advice I have provided was based on the limited fact pattern provided by you. If the facts differ, my advice may not be correct. If you live in Michigan and would like legal assistance with your issue, feel free to contact me: 586-615-0756 / Reese8484@aol.com (ADVERTISING MATERIAL)

I agree with my colleagues. The only thing I would add is you may want to check your contract to see if it contains a right to renew.

This response is for informational purposes only and is not legal advice, nor does it rise to an attorney client relationship. You should not act upon this information without seeking professional legal counsel.

Business topics