Rental agreement not renewed after 10 years because owner wants to rent to a relative. Was there an implied contract after 10

Asked over 1 year ago - New Baltimore, MI

I have been renting the same boat slip for 10 years, without any issues at the marina or with the marina owner. This year with out notice he did not send me a new rental agreement, after tracking the marina owner down and asking for my renewal he informed me that he is going to rent the well to his relative.

1. John F. Brennan

2

Answered . There is very little you can do except find another slip. You gain no property rights in a rental boat slip regardless of how long you have rented it. The owner, however, is guilty of very poor manners ans a lack of courtsey.

2. Mickey David Larson

2

Answered . I agree with my colleague, Mr. Brennan. An implied contract arises only when there isn't an actual contract. Here, assuming your initial rental agreement wasn't for more than ten years, it sounds like you're out of luck.

3. Reese Serra

2

Answered . I don't think there is an implied contract on these facts. Best of luck to you - Reese Serra

4. Eric J. Guerin

2

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. The only thing I would add is you may want to check your contract to see if it contains a right to renew.