Renewing GA drivers license while waiting to get 10 yr GC

Atlanta, GA |
Filed under: Green cards

My conditional GC expires in December and so does my GA drivers license. I know it will take a while to receive the 10 yr GC so how do I go about renewing my drivers license in the mean time? Will my immigration documents showing that I applied for removal of condition be accepted? I also need to change my address since i have moved - how important is for immigration to have correct address on my DL? Thank you!

Unfortunately, the State of Georgia has decided to meddle in immigration-related matters, instead of leaving that entire subject for federal government purview. The Georgia Department of Driver Services should accept your conditional "Green Card" and evidence that a Petition to Remove Condition has been filed, as evidence of your continued lawful presence in the U.S., but some Department representatives are insufficiently trained about this. It may be necessary to seek assistance from a supervisor. If you are represented by a lawyer who is a member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA), and if you encounter problems with license renewal, that lawyer could make use of liaison services of the AILA Georgia-Alabama Chapter to overcome the problem.
Georgia laws require updating driver's licenses after a change of address. If your Conditional "Green Card" is based upon marriage, then two spouses having the same address on their driver's licenses will be helpful in petitioning to remove the condition, and failure to have the same addresses will require additional explanation and documentation.

[Note: Consistent with Avvo policy, this communication is intended as general information and not specific legal advice, and this communication does not create an attorney-client relationship.]

David N. Soloway
Frazier, Soloway & Kennedy, P.C.
1800 Century Place, Suite 100
Atlanta, Georgia 30345 www.fspklaw.com
404-320-7000 * 1-877-232-5352 * dsoloway@fspklaw.com

[Note: Consistent with Avvo policy, this communication is intended as general information and not specific legal advice, and this communication does not create an attorney-client relationship.] David N. Soloway Frazier, Soloway & Poorak, P.C. 1800 Century Place, Suite 100 Atlanta, Georgia 30345 www.fspklaw.com 404-320-7000 * 1-877-232-5352 * dsoloway@fspklaw.com

Possibly, but DMV officers are not always trained and frequently a supervisor may be more knowledgeable. So time your applications well. Best Wishes!
Lalita Haran
Attorney: Immigration Law
13295 Illinois St Ste 128
Carmel IN 46032
Ph: (317) 660-6174
www.haranlaw.com

Contact (317) 660-6174 for specific legal advice. Answers here are not legal advice because they are of general nature and not tailored to your specific situation. You should not act on this answer without checking with an Immigration Attorney.