Skip to main content

Renewing Expired Green Card with a Federal Felony?

Minneapolis, MN |

My green has expired since 2011, I want to renew it but I was told by an immigration attorney not to renew it because I will be turning myself into ICE, when I was charged with my federal offense I was considered a small potato (ICE has not come to knock on my door yet), I need legal advice I am a single mother with 2 young children at home, I don't know want to be incarcerated but I am really frustrated with my green card being expired!!

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Best answer

    Since you already have an attorney, I believe you should direct all your questions to him/her. Only after analyzing the federal felony charge and the record of conviction an attorney may be able to guide you appropriately.

  2. You need to she the conviction documents to an experienced immigration attorney.

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

  3. Depends on the convictions. You can always get a second opinion by taking your certified criminal disposition to another experienced attorney who understands the immigration consequences of criminal convictions

    This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.

  4. The immigration consequences of convictions depend on the exact language of the statute under which the conviction took place.

    You need to retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, including the court disposition and the charging documents, in order to advise you, and handle the case.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics