Renewing Expired Green Card with a Federal Felony?

Asked about 1 year ago - Minneapolis, MN

My green has expired since 2011, I want to renew it but I was told by an immigration attorney not to renew it because I will be turning myself into ICE, when I was charged with my federal offense I was considered a small potato (ICE has not come to knock on my door yet), I need legal advice I am a single mother with 2 young children at home, I don't know want to be incarcerated but I am really frustrated with my green card being expired!!

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Carl Michael Shusterman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . You need to she the conviction documents to an experienced immigration attorney.

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration... more
  2. Rajesh Nakchhed Prasad

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Since you already have an attorney, I believe you should direct all your questions to him/her. Only after analyzing the federal felony charge and the record of conviction an attorney may be able to guide you appropriately.

  3. Irene Vaisman

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Depends on the convictions. You can always get a second opinion by taking your certified criminal disposition to another experienced attorney who understands the immigration consequences of criminal convictions

    This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.
  4. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The immigration consequences of convictions depend on the exact language of the statute under which the conviction took place.

    You need to retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, including the court disposition and the charging documents, in order to advise you, and handle the case.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,215 answers this week

2,838 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary