Skip to main content

Renew work authorization based on pending asylum case?

San Diego, CA |

I have pending asylum case for more than one year and my initial work authorization will expire in 3 months.
My questions:
when should I send the new application to renew my card?
is there a fee for renew card? or it's free same as the initial one?

Attorney Answers 2


File immediately, it can take 3 months to process.

Read the instructions closely regarding fees.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


It is appropriate to file 90 days in advance because it takes that long to process your application.

The information you obtain from this response is not legal advice. You should consult a qualified attorney for advice regarding your individual case and situation. This response does not create an attorney-client relationship of any kind.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Employment topics

Recommended articles about Employment

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics