Renegade trustee

Asked almost 4 years ago - San Diego, CA

my father died and left my brother the Trustee. per the Trust my fathers house was to be put on the market and sold and split 5 ways. My Brother put the house on the market for $385K approx $200K more than the apprassied value; can he do this? The price was questioned and he lowered it by $10K; this didn't happened until almost 9 mths after the orginal listing. The real estate agent confirmed that the original price was determind by my brother and told me that the correct price should be around $180K to $200K. i requested an apprassial and my brother said "NO". What can I do to make him list the price for the correct current market value? Can the lisiting agent get in any trouble knowing that he has listed a house for approx $200K more than its value? Thank you

1. Henry Daniel Lively

Answered . Your brother is the trustee and has a fiduciary duty to the beneficiaries of the trust. He must follow the terms of the trust and act reasonably. You can go to court and force a distribution of the assets of the trust if he does not act reasonably. This could include replacement of him as trustee. It would be a good idea for you to have your own attorney on your side.

Any individual seeking legal advice for their own situation should retain their own legal counsel as this response provides information that is general in nature and not specific to any person's unique situation. Circular 230 Disclaimer - Advice given in this response cannot be used to eliminate penalties with the IRS or any other governmental agency.

2. Henry Daniel Lively

3. Steven J. Fromm

Answered . You need to stand up to the school yard bully; bring your attorney to the party. Your brother must follow the terms of the trust and act in the beneficiaries best interest. You need to get him to understand this and the best way to show you mean business is to hire counsel for you and the 3 others. Have the attorney demand a copy of the trust and to get an interim accounting. Who knows what he is doing and whether he can be trusted. He may be taking money from the trust. Get moving on this and get an experience probate/estates attorney ASAP, and stop taking his abuse. You may need to bring an action for his removal as trustee since he is not acting prudently and in the best interests of the beneficiaries and he seems basically incompetent to be a trustee.

Hope this helps. If you think this post was helpful, please check the thumbs up (helpful) tab below. Thanks.
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law in PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties and services clients throughout the state of Pennsylvania. He can be reached at 215-735-2336 or at the email address listed below. He is rated as an AV Preminent attorney from Lexis-Nexis Martindale Hubbell having the received the highest possble rating in legal ability and ethical standards. In addition, he has received a 10.0 rating from AVVO and recently was featured as a 5Star Wealth Manager in the Philadelphia Magazine, November 2009 issue on page 123.
    Mr. Fromm is ethically required to state that the response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. Also, there are no recognized legal specialties under Pennsylvania law. Any references to a trust, estate or tax lawyer refer only to the fact that Mr. Fromm limits his practice to these areas of the law. These responses are only in the form of legal education and are intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Fromm strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure proper advice is received.
    By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction, who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question.
    Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.