Removing Wrongful Traffic Violation from Driving Record

Asked 7 months ago - Providence, RI

A traffic speeding citation was issued wrongfully under my name here in RI (the person who received the citation did not show up to court either) and I am from CA (I did not have a license at the time). I was able to get a letter from an Appeals Officer from the RI DMV confirming that person who appeared under my name in the PDPS system was not me, after searching the DMV records (the birthdate is off by 1 year, same name, month and day). However, the citation is still in the PDPS system. How do I get rid of it? Where do I go? This is something that has been confirmed that I did not do yet it is still affecting me. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. John T. Longo

    Contributor Level 11

    Answered . You can sue to get a clerk to do an administrative task the law requires him/her to do. But that is expensive.

    I do not know what the PDPS system is. But consider tracking down the head of it and FedExing (it vastly increases the chance they will read it) him or her a polite short (1 page) letter asking them to correct the record because of problems it is causing you. If they do not respond, send a second polite letter. If they still do not respond, contact a local elected official.

    I am giving you general information about the law. To give you legal advice I would first have to learn more about... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,866 answers this week

3,100 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,866 answers this week

3,100 attorneys answering