Skip to main content

Removing my name off a car title with an ex-fiance who was abusive?

Arlington, VA |

How do I remove my name off a car title if the car is totally paid off? My ex-fiance took off with the car we paid for, but my name is still on the title. He refuses to take my name off, and I cannot get him to go back to VA to get this taken care of.

If I go seek him out, as the DMV has suggested I do, I put myself back in harm's way. What can I do so that I face no legal consequences for any of his potential accidents? He's already racking up parking tickets, which still come to my house.

Thanks Mitchell. I guess the real question here is - can I do this without having him show up to sign the title too? Not only would it potentially put me in harms way, but I'm sure that he would not show up to do this with me anyways.

Attorney Answers 1

  1. If there are no liens on the car, you can contact DMV to ask how to transfer the title to a co-owner. Usually, it is nothing more than signing the title over to the other party and having it filed with DMV for a new title.

    [This communication is intended as general information and not specific legal advice, and this communication does not create an attorney-client relationship.]

    Mitchell P. Goldstein
    Richmond, VA 23230
    804-673-4358 Office Email

Divorce topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics