Remove the condition residency to permanent timeframe? exact date?

Asked over 2 years ago - San Francisco, CA

hi, im very advanced in terms of paperwork esp immigration. my question is my condional residency will expire on march 29, 2013. when is the exact date i can submit the permanent residency application? will it be 90 days before it expires as i have read? december 2012 maybe? i also have a question. can i go on vacation this nov 12 without affecting my application to remove conditional residency? your answer will be a big help! thanks and more power!

Attorney answers (3)

  1. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . You can submit it any time within the 90 days prior to the card's expiration.

    You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts and advise you accordingly.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more
  2. Luis Alberto Guerra


    Contributor Level 20
    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . 1) You could start filing 90 days before it expires (90 days before March 29, 2013).
    2) You can travel without a problem.

    Law Office of Luis A. Guerra (954) 434-5800. This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as... more
  3. Barbara Ann Williams

    Contributor Level 9

    Answered . The law requires a person to the I-751 to file within the 90 day period prior to the expiration with a few exceptions. Whether you are okay to travel depends on whether you remain admissible or otherwise impacted your eligiblity for conditional permanent residency. I agree you should consult with an experienced immigration attorney prior to any travel outside the US to avoid problems when trying to seek permission to re-enter.

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,821 answers this week

3,373 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,821 answers this week

3,373 attorneys answering