Removal of old obsolete private easement

Asked almost 2 years ago - San Antonio, TX

Hi...I want to purchase some property, but there are two old easements that no one knew about...granting rights, use, privileges to grantee and heirs, other words it's a transferable easement--from 50 years ago. The seller isn't interested in doing the legwork to get it removed, and I'm not interested in having it remain...but I do want the property. What can I do, post sale to get that extension removed? Thank you, JS

Attorney answers (2)

  1. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . It is possible that the easements have been abandoned or that they have been adversely possessed and are no longer valid. It is also possible you could find the current easement holders and have them convey back the easement rights.
    You will need to get a real estate attorney involved to review the documents, discuss your options and assist you further.

    If this response was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. The response provided herein is for... more
  2. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Mr. Koel is absolutely correct. What you would do is hire an attorney to request the court to obtain a Declaratory Judgment as to the ownership of the property (which you would claim). It is a simple suit and would probably cost you a few thousand dollars from start to finish provided there are no adverse parties. Good luck!

Related Topics

Easements and land use law

An easement is a right to enter or use someone else's property for a specific reason. It remains in force even if the property is sold and is also transferable.

Raymond Richard Michalski

Know Your Boundaries

Now that the residential real estate market is showing some signs of recovery, it's a good time to review some tips about buying and selling a home. Usually, home sales involve important... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,359 answers this week

3,562 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,359 answers this week

3,562 attorneys answering