Skip to main content

Relative was caught trying to cross the border.

Palm Desert, CA |

She is being held in valverde detention center. Called the center and was told she was under marshal custody. What does this mean?

Attorney Answers 6

  1. Simply means she is currently being held by State authorities, most likely under some state arrest warrant or charges pending against her.

    Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

  2. She may be charged with committing a crime.

    Mr. Shusterman's (former INS Trial Attorney, 1976-82) response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

  3. Hi there Palm Desert,

    If she's in custody, it might be that they're charging her with state, federal, or immigration violations. It's hard to tell which just based on the information you've provided, but she's in trouble for sure if she's under marshall custody. Consider hiring an experienced immigration custody to help you fight her case and if you speak with her, advise her not to sign anything before being appraised of her rights, and always always always keep a copy of anything she's provided with in writing.

    The answer given here is based solely on the facts provided, which may be incomplete, and is intended for general information only. It does not establish an attorney-client relationship, nor should it be relied upon for further legal action, which should only be taken after first having a consultation with an experienced, licensed attorney.

  4. Commuting a federal offense probably illegal re entry or alien smuggling or such offenses. Hire a lawyer for her or call the marshal' office to find out more and repost.

  5. Sounds to me as if this is a 're-entry' case. The best way to help your relative is to speak with an experienced immigration attorney. There maybe something that can be done to help them.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics