Skip to main content

Relative adoption in Florida.... Terminating Parental Rights due to Chap 63

Jacksonville, FL |

I have physical custody of grandson since birth except for a 25 day period in which my daughter is mentally ill and decided to let the babysitter keep him till they tried to gain custody. I went to the family court services I have filed all papers myself and even gained consent from the presumed father they checked the registry and found out her ex had signed it.In response we have had DCF called 3 times, our on line business has been affected due to slander from the babysitter and the" registered dad". I served the petition and am waiting for his response and to my understanding if he doesn't respond his parental rights are terminated. My question is after the twenty days and he doesn't respond can DCF still ask him for a DNA test? Our is that the final and is this over?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You need a lawyer! Adoptions are so complicated that not all family lawyers do them. Spend the money now and save thousands over the next few years. Good luck to you.

This information is a general answer and is not specific to any particular case. Carin Manders Constantine, Esq. 727-456-0032/ 727-488-8272


You would best be served by contacting an attorney in your area that specializes in adoptions to ensure you have done everything properly and to get the best advice moving forward, especially if DCF is involved.

You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation since every case is different and not all information is relayed in an online question. The Law Office of Ophelia Bernal-Mora, P.A. is a family law firm located in Orlando, Florida, we invite you to contact us and welcome your calls at 407-354-5223. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.


I echo the prior answers. Once DCF becomes involved the "red tape" factor goes up considerably even if you have the consent from the presumed father. There are many nuances to adoption law and you really need someone who is well versed in this type of matter. Best of luck to you.

This information is provided as a public service to provide a general answer and should not be relied upon as legal advice.

Family law topics

Recommended articles about Family law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer