Skip to main content

Rehabilitative Alimony Extension

Stamford, CT |
Filed under: Alimony

Rehabilitative Alimony awarded for 6 mo and now need an extension to allow more time to find employment. What types of proof must I show in court that I am looking for work and need some more time?

Attorney Answers 1


Unless the decree states that the alimony term cannot be modified, the court can continue the alimony payments upon a showing of a substantial change in circumstances. You have to make a motion to modify. At the hearing you have to produce evidence that there has been a substantial change since the entry of the original order granting you alimony. You could argue that your failure to secure employment despite diligent efforts to do so, is a change that may warrant an extension. It is important that you present proper proof and it would be best to have an attorney represent you.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics