Rehab center was negligent. moved my dad 4/26 to another rehab without notifying anyone, not even the dr. Can we sue them?

Asked over 1 year ago - Chicago, IL

He was vomiting right before they moved him. They told him he was being moved and he thought he was being moved to a private room as originally agreed. They sent an incomplete chart to the other rehap. No notification he was dehydrated and needed to be on IV. We notified the Dr. and he asked us to have him transported to the hospital for evaluation. He was also very upset he wasn't notified. Ambulance didn't want to move him b/c his vital signs were so low and were afraid he'd have a heart attack on the way to the hospital. My sister signed a release of liability and they moved him. ER said he was completely dehydrated and bp was extremely low. Thought he would need dyalisis, he's stable now, still in ICU. Still don't know why he was moved. Dentures and meds are missing.

Pro

6

Answered . Have a local lawyer order his records and investigate.

2. Samuel Aaron Coffey

4

Answered . The most important issue is was he injured? Was his health changed by the facilities moving in?

3. Kenneth Lee LaBore

Pro

4

Answered . It appears from the information that you provided that you would at a minimum have a potential claim for the amount of the medical bills, and depending on the amount of permanent injury as a result of the dehydration and related hospitalization there might be other claims. They most likely would be medical malpractices claims and would require a high burden of proof and the use of experts. It may not be financially reasonable to pursue an action if the amount you can recover is less than the amount necessary to bring the action.

I recommend you meet with a qualified nursing home neglect attorney in your area for a consult. You can find a qualified attorney on AVVO.