Registered to vote as LPR. Do I meet the standards for the 3 exception conditions during naturalization processes?

Asked 12 months ago - Chicago, IL

-I was 13 years old when I moved to the U.S. as LPR in 1998, and traveled outside
of the U.S. a few times, however the duration of my visits to other countries never passed 3 weeks.
-After confirming with the office of elections committee, I registered to vote by filling out the form at a volunteer a registrar group (mostly schools) on April 14th of 2004, but both of my parents became citizens in Nov. 30th 2004.
-I was 19 years old, and was attending a community college. Leaving class on that day, a former classmate stopped me in the hallway, and asked me to fill out the voter registration form so he could get extra-credit for class. I knew the law that prevented LPRs in voting. But he assured me that LPR can register to vote, as long as never actually voting in an election.

1. Stephen D. Berman

Pro

2

Answered . I don't believe so. You need to prove you believed you were a US citizen.

2. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

2

Answered . Seek to speak to an immigration lawyer in private.

3. Tracie Lynn Klinke

1

Answered . This is a tough situation, but you might be able to naturalize. I agree with the other poster who recommends an attorney - so much depends on what you thought, believed, what you were told, and who told it to you. The basic facts you've submitted make me believe you can still move forward, but it'll be tricky and a good attorney will help you present your case in the best way possible. Good luck!

This general advice does not create an attorney-client relationship.
  4. J Charles Ferrari

1

Answered . Not on the facts you give.