Regarding tax

Asked almost 3 years ago - Lakewood, CA

I got new car from credit. But the new car is under my and my friends name. Can we claim the tax deduction or anything kind of credit for the same car differently? how does this thing work for the tax purpose? The car is under both of our name in credit company.?

1. Christopher Michael Larson

14

1

Best Answer

Answered . Well, as Attorney Lively points out, you cannot deduct cost of your personal auto even if you own it outright and make all the payments. It is not a qualified residence, and there is no "cash for clunkers" credit anymore if that is what you mean.

If this is a business asset, it can be depreciated, but it must be paid for by the business or whoever owns the business if it is sole prop.

But it sounds like your friend has helped you purchase a personal auto and you are looking for some kind of tax break related to the purchase. But there really is no such thing.

Christopher Larson
    Insight Law
    www.insightlawfirm.com

2. Henry Daniel Lively

13

1

Answered . You can each deduct the car for only the portion that you use it for business. This does not include commuting mileage or personal usage.

3. Curtis Lamar Harrington Jr

10

1

Answered . If you bought it in 2011, there is a sales tax deduction on your federal return. If the car was bought in 2012 it will not be available unless congress extends it. The deduction is available to taxpayers that itemize. In most cases itemizers have a real property interest deduction that makes it worthwhile.

4. J David Hopkins

8

1

Answered . As mentioned, it depends on what claim you are making. If it's for the Schedule A deduction, then those rules apply. If it's for the business deduction, different rules apply to different aspects of the claim.