Regarding my Green Card interview

New Britain, CT |

Hello Sir,
I just got married to US citizen and applied for green card last week. Me and my wife lives in different states due to work. So my question is ;
Do we need to meet each other certain times before green card interview? Or is there any way that we can explain interviewer about our situation?

Thanks in advance.

1. You need to establish and document that your marriage is a real marriage despite living apart.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

2. Hi there- We've handled cases where husband and wife need to live separately for the time being. Example would be when they work in different states and one spouse is trying to find a job in the other spouse's state. As long as you can prove that the marriage is genuine and that you would be living together soon, it should not be an issue.

Business Immigration Attorney. For H, L, J, EB5s, PERM and EB1/2/3 Petitions. Call 800-688-7892 or visit www.ImmigrationDesk.com. Law Office of Anu Gupta. The advice suggested here is for general information only. It is not to be construed as legal advice. We promise to zealously represent you - but as with any legal matter, we cannot predict the approval of your case based on our past successes. Each case is different. If you are in a similar situation, we would recommend that you contact us to discuss your case.

3. There is no set requirements for exact ammount of meetings you and your wife have to have before the interview. As long as you have a good explanation to your living arrangements, your petition still can be approved. However, if you never resided together or otherwise "consummated" your marriage, it will be very difficult to prove that you married for the reasons other than immigration benefit.

Nothing in this post shall be construed as a legal advice. If you need advice regarding your particular situation, please contact my office directly. This information is transferred without an intent to creat an attorney-client relationship.

4. You need to demonstrate your marriage is real despite the physical separation. I highly recommend you consult with an attorney and/ or hire one to come with you to the interview since this may be an issue.

This answer is provided for general education purposes only and is not intended to provide, nor does it provide, any legal advice.   By viewing this answer you understand and expressly agree that there is no attorney-client relationship between you and the attorney who authored the answer.  Should you need legal advice, please contact a licensed attorney who practices in this area.  Readers of this answer and the information contained herein should not act upon any information contained in this answer without seeking legal counsel.

5. Separation will not be a problem if it is for a legitimate reason. Just remember to document everything. Document calls, emails, texts, plane tickets, etc., and have joint accounts. Good luck.

Simone Coley, Bachand & Bachand; 855-422-2426. 189 State Street, Suite 100, Bridgeport, CT 06604

Marriage and prenups topics