Regarding multi-million dollar Civil Suit & Subpoenas

New York, NY |

(1) If I file a (multi-million dollar) civil suit against my previous employer, do I need to have the documented evidence against them BEFORE I file the suit? (2) Or can I file the civil suit first, then have my attorney subpoena documented evidence against them AFTER suit is filed? (3) And lastly, if this documented evidence was subpoenaed in a prior closed criminal case but never given, could this evidence be subpoenaed again for the civil suit on that basis?

1. Its always better to have the evidence you need before you start a lawsuit because I never trust a defendant to play by the rules. However, if you can only get what you need by serving a subpoena, then you have no choice but to start the suit. Whether or not the employer complied with a subpoena in a criminal case is irrelevent to the civil case. I am a former State and federal prosecutor and now handle civil and criminal cases so please feel free to check out my web site and contact me.