Regarding H4 to F1 stamping at home country ?

Asked 10 months ago - Fremont, CA


My wife came to US on H4 and converted her visa from H4 to F1 (MS in Computer Science). She has done her first year(on F1) and now she is planning to visit India due to family emergency by taking summer break (NOW SHE ONLY LEFT WITH FINAL SEMESTER). Now she has to go for her F1 stamping. Below are my concerns regarding this,

What are the chances for her to get F1 stamped (Accept/Reject) ?
If her F1 is rejected she can come to US on H4 stamping without any issue, but once she is back to US on H4 she will apply for H4 to F1 again. Once her F1 is approved does she has to do her MS again for all the semesters or only the pending courses i.e, her FINAL SEMESTER ? In this case is she eligible for her CPT/OPT on new F1 visa?

Also please provide any other valuable suggestions
Thank you

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Giacomo Jacques Behar


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Without knowing more about the academic subject of her studies, I would venture to say her chances of being approved for the F-1 visa are pretty good.
    Let's not become pessimistic, Babu... There is no reason for that. Hope for good outcomes and only good will happen, don't you agree? But, yes, will be able to come back on H-4.
    Only her remaining courses, i.e. the "final semester".
    She will be eligible for OPT upon graduation on F-1 status.

    Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that... more
  2. Tripti Sharad Sharma


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Talk to the DSO. She should be fine.

    This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known.... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

US visas

There are many types of immigrant and non-immigrant visas, including work visas, student visas, and marriage visas.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

18,365 answers this week

2,424 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

18,365 answers this week

2,424 attorneys answering