Skip to main content

Regarding college

New York, NY |
Filed under: Education law

I applied to two private schools and was offered thousands on scholarship. I later found out a program in which because of a disability I have I was able to have my education financed , however I was told that in order to become accepted that I must forfeit the scholarship and both private schools because they would only fund me for schooling that was apart of the SUNY system. I did as I was asked and found a suny school , now that I found one they are telling me that they I am not eligible. I lost over 16000 dollars in a scholarship. I want to know if I have a case.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Best answer

    Dear asker, your question is a little difficult to understand.
    It sounds like SUNY was offering a scholarship to you, based on a disability, and you were insisting that the scholarship go to a private school, or was this part of the State's 529 pre-paid college fund?
    In either case, this is too fact specific to give you an answer, but I would recommend that you sit down with an education attorney on the matter.

    This does not constitute legal advice or the engagement of my services as an attorney.

  2. What is your legal question? You have not posed any questions. A case for what?

    We do not have an attorney-client relationship. I am not your lawyer. The statements I have made do not constitute legal advice. Any statements I have made are based upon the very limited facts you have presented, and under the premise that you will consult with a local attorney. This is not an attempt to solicit business. This disclaimer is in addition to any disclaimers that this website has made. I am only licensed in California.

  3. As my colleagues have noted, it is difficult to understand what you may be asking. Here are two things you should know: Scholarships are different from having your colleges financed. The former is money that they GIVE you for school, the later is money they LOAN you for school. In the education market place you are going to have many options and should get good advice from a person who is familiar with higher education programs before making long term decisions. It sounds like you are upset that you had a good offer for scholarships to two private schools but then somebody advised you that you could get your college fully financed if you went to a SUNY school, and then that fell through. Happens all the time, and it is not illegal. You thought you could get a bigger better deal so you let go of the first offer for scholarships and went after what you thought was a better deal and it didn't work out.
    You likely can apply for the scholarships again in the next academic cycle, but it is not guaranteed.
    You may want to consult an educational attorney or perhaps talk to a admission counselor at one or all of the colleges you are interested to explore options for getting your school funded.
    I wish you well.

    NO LEGAL ADVICE GIVEN. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship set forth in a written document executed by the client and by me or a member of my firm. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. My law firm does NOT provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your case. I can give advice, make recommendations and answer specific questions only after reviewing the evidence and documents applicable to a specific client and following a personal meeting in my office in which the relevant facts can be developed and analyzed. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal administrative law; professional licenses and permits; education law; employment and labor law; and litigation matters in state and federal courts. Our practice is limited to the States of Oregon and California. If you have a case in any other state we would not be able to assist you. Unless we have a signed written fee agreement you are not my or my firm's client.

Education law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics