Regarding a Last Will and Testament

My aunt passed away last summer and her lawyer sent a copy of her will to all her nephews and nieces asking us to sign and return it to him. We all signed the form that said "Appearance, Waiver of Notice and Concent to Admission of Will". We haven't heard anything since from him. Last month my sister called to ask about disbursements he said that all monies were donated because we waived our rights to the estate, and not bother him again. This all took place in Stephenson County, Freeport Illinois. Do we have any rights to her monies? Is he correct? Thank you very much for any help you can give us in this matter.

Roselle, IL -

Ben Neiburger

Ben Neiburger

Estate Planning Attorney - Elmhurst, IL

That document seems to be a document that is used to open the estate, not make distributions. However, the comment above is correct and you need to show what you signed to a probate lawyer. If there is an estate still open in the probate court, you may have some additional rights. However, you should act quickly since there is a time limit for claims, etc.

Ronald Anthony Sarno

Ronald Anthony Sarno

Litigation Lawyer - New York, NY

What did the will say? Did you sign a waiver of notice OR a waive of bequest? You need a probate lawyer to read that documents you executed to find out if you were cheated or not.