Refusing a blood test but took a breathalyzer

I am being charged with DWI even though I only blew a .03. I am 24 years of age so I know that is legal in my state. I was caught with heroin in my possesion so the police decided to give me a DWI just because I had the drugs in my possesion. I told the police I had partied the night before and stopped at 2 a.m. I was arrested at 10:30 the next morning. The police wanted to do a blood test but I refused since I had no lawyer present and I have no way of knowing if the test are done in a proper fasion.The officer claimed I blew a stop sign that I had stopped and waited at for about 3 minutes because of traffic. Then when I got pulled over he immediatly told me I was going to jail because I forgot my I.D. at home. I got out of the car to look for an I.D. and he stuck his hands in my pockets.

Riverhead, NY -

Steven Marc Raiser

Steven Marc Raiser

Criminal Defense Attorney - Mineola, NY

Most likely they're charging you with a "combined influence" DWI - a mixture of drugs and alcohol. The search you described (him sticking his hands in your pocket) does not sound legitimate. However, I would need to know more facts since there is a grey area, in that the police can search your pockets incident to the arrest, therefore whether there was a valid arrest before he found the heroin will likely be the biggest issue in the case.

Steven Everett Savage

Steven Everett Savage

Criminal Defense Attorney - Newark, NJ

I agree with Attorney Raiser. The legitimacy of the search depends on a number of details you haven't yet provided.

Eric Edward Rothstein

Eric Edward Rothstein

Criminal Defense Attorney - New York, NY

What's your question? In NY, they would need a blood test to prove you had drugs in your system and I can't see you being convicted of DWI on a .03. Have you retained a good criminal defense attorney?

Richard C. Southard

Richard C. Southard

DUI / DWI Attorney - New York, NY

A BAC reading of .03 is prima facie evidence that you were NOT INTOXICATED. Were you also charged with VTL 1192.4? With no blood test they can only rely on your statements [you may still have drugs in your system 8.5 hours later] The police could have sought judicial intervention to force you to give blood. Plus there is a definite question about the legality of the search. which could lead to the possession of the heroin evidence and a dismissal of the 220.03 charge (possession 7th degree). You have lots of legal issues for an experienced criminal defense attorney to litigate and strengthen your defense. I suggest you retain experienced counsel if you are financially able. Feel free to call me at 212-385-8600 or contact me via my website below if you have any additional questions.