Refusal to sign divorce papers in Texas?

Asked over 4 years ago - Houston, TX

What happens if in Houston, TX you are served with divorce papers but you refuse to sign them? What happens, do you go to court?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Teri A. Walter

    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . If you don't answer, your spouse will get a default judgment, most likely on whatever terms they want. If you answer, either the two of you will agree on a settlement, or the case will be tried and the court will divide the community property and make provisions for child support and visitation.

    I recommend you talk to a lawyer as soon as possible to determine the best course of action in your case.

  2. Sammy Eugene Lucario Jr.

    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . You do not want to get a default judgment, so at the very least, answer and make court appearances. I would recommend strongly to hire an attorney to represent your rights.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,133 answers this week

3,430 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,133 answers this week

3,430 attorneys answering