Refusal to sign divorce papers in Texas?

Asked almost 5 years ago - Houston, TX

What happens if in Houston, TX you are served with divorce papers but you refuse to sign them? What happens, do you go to court?

1. Teri A. Walter

Answered . If you don't answer, your spouse will get a default judgment, most likely on whatever terms they want. If you answer, either the two of you will agree on a settlement, or the case will be tried and the court will divide the community property and make provisions for child support and visitation.

I recommend you talk to a lawyer as soon as possible to determine the best course of action in your case.

2. Sammy Eugene Lucario Jr.

Answered . You do not want to get a default judgment, so at the very least, answer and make court appearances. I would recommend strongly to hire an attorney to represent your rights.