Refund from nursing home after discharge

Boca Raton, FL |
Filed under: Nursing homes

My mother was discharged from nursing home in mid-month (April) to hospital ER, and then to hospice where she passed away a short time later. She was under Medicaid LT care . Nursing home was paid through end of April (with her SS funds from March). How do they handle refund? Back to SS? Sent to her estate/next of kin? Must they await Medicaid info first? SS should be notified by funeral home this week. I have not yet contacted nursing home business office. Thank you very much.

I suggest you contact the local Medicaid office and pose this question directly to someone familiar with how the program operates. You may also want to review the contract in existence between your mother and the nursing home. I am pretty confident that any unused portion of a Medicaid payment would be returned to Medicaid and not go to the estate.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.

2. I am sorry for your loss.

You need to look at the nursing home contract, which may be monthly. There may or may not be a refund due and who it is payable is probably the payor, so in this case Medicaid.

I would ask the business office and they should answer your questions.

AVVO DISCLAIMER I am licensed in Minnesota only and my answers on Avvo assume Minnesota law. The answers I provide are for general information only and are NOT INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE and therefore must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interaction between an attorney and client and specific exact facts and the law. I do not retain clients without a signed RETAINER AGREEMENT. The Avvo forum does not allow for the discussion and the interaction necessary to form a complete legal analysis. Therefore the answers given to any specific question would most likely be different if there was attorney-client interaction. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such an attorney client relationship. An attorney-client relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged nor are they confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and statutory time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in the answers to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an qualified attorney for legal advice licensed in the proper jurisdiction. Finally, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference.

3. A local lawyer would need to review the contract.

Wills and estates topics