Reentry in to US with sevis terminated.

Asked 8 months ago - Clemson, SC

I'm on F-1 status in the US. I came to india(home) on may 6th for summer vacation. Today I received an email from my university saying that due to bad grades, Im suspended and my sevis is terminated. What would be the best option to do now? I can't apply for reinstatement because im already out of US. Can I return to US in this condition? My VISA is valid until 2019. Please help me.

Additional information

If I somehow manage to get the grades adjusted by the professors, then my suspension would be lifted which then needs the sevis to be reactivated. If I can do my part, can the sevis be reactivated either throug a data fix or any other way?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Giacomo Jacques Behar


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . You can try to make an entry in the US, fast before your SEVIS' termination is registered in CBP's database system at the airports, but even if challenged they would have to let you in, since you will be coming in to speak with your school and seek to request reinstatement (for which you have up to 5 months), to be placed in probation for one semester, etc. besides, your visa is still valid.

    Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that... more
  2. Carlos Andres Lopez

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with my colleague. How about give them a call, too? Look into other colleges?

  3. Lawrence M. Kasen

    Contributor Level 17

    Answered . Attorney Behar has given you wise advice. You may wish to discuss your student status with the foreign student office to see if any reinstatement at the school is possible or seek to apply to another school.

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Adjustment of immigration status

When a person in the United States changes his or her immigration status to permanent resident, this is called "adjustment of status."

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,634 answers this week

3,568 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,634 answers this week

3,568 attorneys answering