Redirecting questions to my lawyer? fees lawyer client relationship

Ronkonkoma, NY |
Filed under: Police interrogation

Hello, if police or other authorities ask me questions, and then I say "please redirect your questions to my lawyer" and then give them my lawyer's business card with his phone number attached, then they call my lawyer up. Then if my lawyer answers the police/authorities' phone calls and questions, do I owe my lawyer any money?

That is up to the arrangement you made with the lawyer. Obviously, he doesn't work for free!

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.

If he is your lawyer, that means you hired him. He then worked for you and therefore, he is entitlted to be paid.

That depends on the fee arrangement tie agreed upon.

I have been a criminal defense attorney in New York for almost 25 years. website: Brooklynlaw.net Phone #: 718-208-6094 email: howard@brooklynlaw.net. This answer is only for informational purposes and is not meant as legal advice.

You asked a lawyer protect you from police you should expect to pay for the work.

I think the powers that be don't understand the effect the emphasis on providing pro bono representation to the public has. It is well intentioned, but it has a downside (like just about all things do). the public has heard, and they are starting to commonly expect, that lawyers should not expect to be paid for their service.

That would depend on the arrangement you have with the attorney. I suggest you work it out with the,Ayer before you start giving his/her number out.

Yes. You are actively engaging his services. A lawyer's card is not a free pass. And you will probably owe him for more than just the phone call unless you have a prior arrangement.

Legal disclaimer: I am not your attorney and we have no attorney/client relationship. This response is submitted for informational purposes only. This is not legal advice, nor is it intended to be taken as such. Anyone considering the above referenced response and should always consult directly with an attorney within your jurisdiction before taking any action based on this, or any other information. This information is provided without any cost and therefore is worth what you paid for it. Again this information does not create any privileged attorney/client relationship and you are cautioned about information you convey to any person in a public forum considering your case, especially if it is criminal in nature. If you would like to consult with me you may contact me at (216)316-3161. I am admitted to practice in the State of Ohio and the State of Michigan.