Red-light violation, right turn at a "No turn on red sign"

Chicago, IL |

Got a ticket in the mail with pictures showing I'm turning right on a red light. Checked google map and found indeed there is a No Turn On Right sign. But it's posted about 6 feet behind the white line, that's why I didn't see it when I stopped at the white line. So basically, I couldn't see the sign when I'm at the red light and turned right.

Is it possible to get dismissed because this is my first time of any violation? Should I request a in-person hearing, or should I just pay the $100? I was driving my husband's car, both of us are on the insurance policy. Can I go to the hearing without him? Because he is out of town. Normally, how much would the insurance increase? Thanks!

If, as I suspect, the ticket is payable to the Chicago Department of Revenue, it is not a moving violation and will not affect your driving record or insurance if you pay. My advice would be to pay it unless the online video shows you entering on yellow.

Civil rights topics

Recommended articles about Civil rights