Recvd annual notice from FTB regarding 2002 taxes 11 yrs later. What do I do.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Corona, CA

I recvd an annual notice from Franchise tax board regarding tax year 2002. The notice is the first notice I have ever received fromFTB. It says it is only for informational purposes only. It has me owing $ 2373.72. there are code letters . A. Submitting false Employees Withhold Allowance Certificate, D) Unmeritorious proceedings by a taxpayer, W.) Frivolous return penalty. What is this all about? Help! !

1. David Aaron Wiesen

Pro

1

Answered . If you have the 2002 returns or access to them get the returns to a Tax attorney or CPA to review. Also bring the notice from the FTB.

I wonder if you do not know what this is about if you were married and that your spouse either had a 2002 tax issue or made an innocent or injured spouse claim. Did you or your spouse have a business in the early 2000s that you subsequently sold?

Since the notice says it is for informational purposes only this is the time to figure out what occurred.

2. Dana Whitney Atchley

1

Answered . First question: did you, in fact, provide a withholding allowance certificate to your employer in 2002 that contained wrong information? Second, did you contest any taxes from 2002 before the FTB or any other government agency? Third, did you file a return for 2002 that was "frivolous" - i.e., contained false deductions, or you failed to report income, or you took a position that you weren't subject to tax for some reason?

If so, then you should definitely gather up whatever documents you have from 2002 and consult with a competent local tax attorney who has experience handling tax disputes with the FTB (not all tax attorneys do).

If you didn't do any of those things, then I would suggest looking at the notice to see if there is a telephone number you can call for additional information, and that you call the number to ask for an explanation about the notice.