Recording a conversation to hold up in court.

Asked 10 months ago - Potsdam, NY

I live in the state if New York. When I go to meet my "wife" we are separated, I am working on a divorce, do I have to notify her that I am recording her in person or do I not have to? Or can I state in front of her on the tape that this conversation will be recorded. I intend to if anything comes up use it for court. Custody hearings.

1. Eric Edward Rothstein

4

1

Answered . New York is a one party consent state so if you are both in New York you don't have to tell her that you are recording the conversation and it should be admissible in court if relavent.

2. Theodore W. Robinson

3

1

Answered . You may use the recording in court as long as you are a party to the recorded conversation - with our without her consent. However, whatever is on the tape must be relevant to the custody hearing.

Also, don't ever record your children talking or get them to say anything about their mother. That will likely be turned against you rather well by any attorney who knows what they're doing.

Speak to an attorney about the matter in person if you want more particulars.

3. Mary Katherine Brown

Pro

3

1

Answered . No, you do not need to state that you are recording as long as you are are party to the conversation. You cannot record a conversation between your "wife" and someone else.