Record Sealing for Michigan Probate Court (Mental Health Commitment)

Asked about 1 year ago - Port Huron, MI

I was the subject of a motion for an involuntary commitment/psychiatric evaluation. I followed all recommendations of the hospital and the matter never went further to probate court. The existence of case documents begun by this petition appears on local court records search engines/web sites. What recourses do I have available to me to request the sealing, expunction, destruction or similar mechanisms to render access to these documents non-public? Additionally, assuming that such a means to seal/destroy/make non-public exists, once sealed or rendered non-public, can the very existence of these case files or documents be disclosed online or through a digital publicly available search engine (as a matter *independent* of any order barring public inspection of the underlying records)?

Additional information

Additional Information: This matter occurred a number of years ago (greater than five) in the State of Michigan. This matter (petition) may have been begun with SCAO form PCM201.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. John F. Brennan

    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . What you seek might be possible, in the sense of sealing the record but generally the fact that a case was filed will appear in the public records of the cell yet and therefore show up on a search.

    To the PROSPECTIVE client, please call myself or another attorney for your choice with more detaiils and an... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,836 answers this week

3,471 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,836 answers this week

3,471 attorneys answering