Recognition of foreign divorce in California

Asked over 1 year ago - Palmdale, CA

Married in California and abroad with the same person.Got divorce abroad .What do we need to recognize so our divorce to be recognized in California.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Gregory Paul Benton

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You need to register the divorce here in California with the recorder's office.

  2. Michael Glynn Busby Jr.


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . If no one attacks the divorce then you should not need to get it recognized. If you are attempting to transfer California property, then get a certified copy of decree and take it to a lawyer and ask how to transfer the property.

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

16,240 answers this week

2,222 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

16,240 answers this week

2,222 attorneys answering