Reckless oper but cop didnt know get my speed no radar or anything

Asked over 1 year ago - Toledo, OH

Hit my car into first gear with my knee as I was driving I realized it was in a gear I shifted into 2nd my car jumped I did not peel tires or exceed the limit and cop citied me for reckless oper and not having my license.

1. Robert Perez Soto

1

1

Answered . In order to issue a citation for reckless operation pursuant to R.C. 4511.20, an officer does not need to observe speeding or use a radar. While excessive speeding is one action that could result in this citiation, it is only one of several. Reckless operation is a very general offense that can be issued anytime a person is alleged to have driven in a manner that said to be a "willful and wanton disregard of the safety of persons and property." That said, depending on the circumstances, there may be defenses to the charges.

In any case, I highly recommend that you consult with an attorney as soon as possible to review your situation and potential options.

Robert P. Soto
    Attorney at Law
    Stephen A. Skiver & Associates, LLC
    28350 Kensington, Suite 200
    Perrysburg, Ohio 43551
    Phone: (419) 931-0067
    www.skiverlaw.com

2. Dennis Edward Sawan

Pro

1

1

Answered . Fight it. Reckless operation in Ohio is subject to a rather subjective standard of proof. If you have witnesses that will testify to the fact that you were not creating an unreasonable risk of danger, the prosecutor will generally listen. Obviously, it is worth noting that at the end of the day, it would come down to your word versus the officer's. But no matter what, an experienced criminal defense attorney can help paint the picture that all is not as was explained by the officer.

3. Christopher Lee Beck

Pro

1

Answered . It depends on what the officer says was the Reckless event. Speeding is not in and of itself a reckless event. I disagree in part with another post on the issue of a radar gun reading if citing speed as the reckless event. The Ohio Supreme Court said that an officer could estimate the speed however the Ohio Legislature took heat on this issue and said that the officer could not visually estimate speed. The Officer has to have a radar reading or pace the driver in order to show excessive speed. I caveat all this with there are other things that are considered reckless other than just speed. If the car lurched/jumped, squealed, or swerved then the judge could believe this was reckless. If you are serious about fighting the case you need to hire an attorney. The court can suspend your license for this event.

Attorney Chris Beck
    Beck Law Office, L.L.C.
    1370 North Fairfield Road
    Suite C
    Beavercreek, Ohio 45432
    (937)426-4000 phone (24/7)
    attycbeck@gmail.com
    www.becklawofficellc.com

4. Peter Stephen Kirner

Answered . I am having a hard time wrapping my head around the facts here...I have been driving a 6 speed for MANY years, and your argument is that you "hit your car into first gear with your knee, then when you realized you shifted into second". I'm either not understanding the facts or your story makes absolutely NO sense and just sounds made up. You have the absolute right to fight this case. You can have a jury trial if you like. The officer will testify, and you are free to testify if you want or not. If you do testify be prepared to be cross examined and your story examined thoroughly. I would argue that your story as I understand it does not pass the "straight face test." If I were you, I would hire an attorney and seek a reduction. (or have a trial, if I am misunderstanding your facts) Good luck.

5. Stephen Ross Cohen

Answered . Go to court and explain the reason and hope the judge agrees, but watch out if you have a lot of speeding or reckless driving tickets.