Reckless driving and job application

Virginia |

The job background check form asks "have you been convicted of anything other than a minor traffic violation?" Last year I was convicted of speeding 20 mph over the posted speed. The problem is it was in Virginia where this is considered to be Reckless Driving by Speed and is also a misdemeanor. I am not licensed in VA but in Maryland where I am also applying for the said job. Maryland has no Reckless Driving by speed statute and I've checked my MD driver record and this conviction does not show up on it. My question is How do I answer? the question is so vague. I was only speeding and to top it off I later discovered that my speedometer was broken so i had no idea that I was going that fast. The judge did agree to not escalate my fine because of the speedometer. How do I answer?

Going 20 over the limit is not reckless driving unless you were cited and convicted of it. If you were not convicted of reckless driving, then you have nothing to worry about. If you were convicted of reckless driving, then you need to be honest on your job applications and explain. If you lie, you will be found out and could be fired for cause.

[This communication is intended as general information and not specific legal advice, and this communication does not create an attorney-client relationship.]

You need to check whether you were convicted of speed (a traffic ticket) or reckless driving (a misdemeanor criminal offense). You can do this by going to the Virginia State Supreme Court's website at

http://epwsgdp1.courts.state.va.us/gdcourts/captchaVerification.do?landing=landing

After entering the database, enter the county where you were tried and your name. You can then click on your case and see the disposition of the case and the final charges.

If you have more questions feel free to contact me.

Luke J. Nichols
Spectrum Legal Defense
(703) 383-9222
lnichols@spectrum-legal.com
www.spectrum-legal.com