Recieved ex-parte notice from father of 2 1/2 year old. Do I need to be present? What happens of I'm not presesnt? What to do

San Luis Obispo, CA |

I was not married to my childs' father. He lives in another county and I do not drive. He also has legal custody of another child who he says is not welcome in his home. Another child is also currently living in his home. I fear for the safety of my 2 1/2 year old child. I am with my parents in a safe environment and need advise ASAP. How should I proceed???

1. What is the ex parte request asking for? Do you agree with the request? Do you have custody of the child?

None of the information on this site constitutes legal advice. It is an ad for attorney services. The attorneys at DeDecker & Meltzer are licensed attorneys in the state of California. The information is intended to be general in nature as there are many laws and regulations not mentioned on this site that may apply to your situation. No attorney-client relationship is created between you and the Law Office of DeDecker & Meltzer unless a signed written fee agreement exists. You should not rely or act upon the information provided on this site without seeking the advice from an attorney.

2. You need to request a copy of the moving papers immediately. Contact a local family law attorney and see if you can retain counsel. Prepare a response and have someone provide a response to the court and the other party.

The communication above is provided for informational purposes only. It is not legal advise and does not create an attorney client relationship with anyone. Please consider the information above and get competent legal advise from your trusted advisor.