Recieved ex-parte notice from father of 2 1/2 year old. Do I need to be present? What happens of I'm not presesnt? What to do

Asked about 2 years ago - San Luis Obispo, CA

I was not married to my childs' father. He lives in another county and I do not drive. He also has legal custody of another child who he says is not welcome in his home. Another child is also currently living in his home. I fear for the safety of my 2 1/2 year old child. I am with my parents in a safe environment and need advise ASAP. How should I proceed???

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Ross Carlton Meltzer


    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . What is the ex parte request asking for? Do you agree with the request? Do you have custody of the child?

    None of the information on this site constitutes legal advice. It is an ad for attorney services. The attorneys at... more
  2. William David Ausman

    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . You need to request a copy of the moving papers immediately. Contact a local family law attorney and see if you can retain counsel. Prepare a response and have someone provide a response to the court and the other party.

    The communication above is provided for informational purposes only. It is not legal advise and does not create... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,295 answers this week

2,855 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,295 answers this week

2,855 attorneys answering