Skip to main content

Recieved a call from IAG said I will have a court summons sent do not know why gave a docket #201242. How can I find out if real

Plano, TX |

Sue was her name, she said Law Firm IAG gave the docket number and said if I do not return her call I will have a court summons between 8am and 12pm. She also sent a fax it does not say who it is from just ask for my personal information. Plus says if I refuse to check the box, sign and fax back. There was no introduction or a hi when I answered, I am very suspicious of this I have not received anything in the mail of payment arrangements if this is a debt collector.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Wait until you get sued.

    The first thing you need to do if and when you get sued is file an Answer. The summons will tell you that you must “appear” by way of an Answer in 10, 20 or 30 days, “depending on the method of service.”


    You need a lawyer, but if you cannot afford one right away, rather then do nothing and have a judgment entered against you, is to “appear” by filing something!

    Many people think this means they have to go to Court and this is incorrect. 90% of all lawsuits end in Default Judgments because the defendant (person getting sued) did not file an Answer.

    I recommend you go to the free form I have on my website. Print it out and fill it out as instructed. You must answer the numbered paragraphs on the Complaint by writing them into the appropriate lines in the Answer. The Answer will allow you to preserve your rights and will prohibit a default judgment (i.e. you did not show up) from being entered against you.

    Mimic the paperwork you got when you got sued. Answer all the paragraphs of the Complaint by writing the numbers in lines 1, 2 or 3.

    Almost 100% of attorneys will deny what is owed because they did not do the calculations and do not know what the basis for the number is…

    When you file the Answer that is your “not guilty”. You have the right to make the person suing you (Plaintiff) prove their case, but you must also answer the complaint truthfully.

    Make sure you fill in the name and address of the attorney suing you before you bring this paperwork to the Court. Mail it to the attorney suing you right away!

    Check out the guide I have drafted on the Avvo profile. This will provide more detailed instructions. If it is helpful remember to indicate that and get the guide read!

    Good Luck!

    Disclaimer: This answer does not constitute legal advice. I am admitted in the States of New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts only and make no attempt to opine on matters of law that are not relevant to those three States. This advice is based on general principles of law that may or may not relate to your specific situation. Facts and laws change and these possible changes will affect the advice provided here. Consult an attorney in your locale before you act on any of this advice. You should not rely on this advice alone and nothing in these communications creates an attorney client relationship. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author only and the fact that he has worked as an Assistant District Attorney; State Supreme Court Clerk; Special Assistant United States Attorney (Hawaii); Assistant Cornell University Counsel or Judge Advocate, United States Marine Corps should not be relied upon to assume that these statements reflect the policy of these organizations.

  2. The conduct you describe is in violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA). You should consult an attorney knowledgeable in consumer law. You may be able to sue this company, stop the harassment and win a little bit of money. Consult the National Association of Consumer's Attorneys for a lawyer in your area.
    Save any voice messages they leave you. Do not talk to them any more, Save any letters or faxes you have gotten from them.

  3. Talk to a consumer law attorney about possible violations of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. Do not give out any personal information to anyone (except an attorney if you see one to represent you).

    [This communication is intended as general information and not specific legal advice, and this communication does not create an attorney-client relationship.]

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics