Recieved a 18.2-272 and the car was seized for 30 days. The car wasn't in my name what should the owner do.

Centreville, VA |

The car was impounded, and couldn't be released due to insufficient funds. Are there any legal ramifications for the owner of the vehicle

The owner of the vehicle is not criminally liable unless that person knowingly let a suspended driver operate their vehicle. However, the owner should call the impound lot and pay any fees to recover the vehicle. If the owner is unable to pay, there is a risk that the car will be sold at an auction to pay the fees.

There is a procedure for the owner to petition the court and it can be released to them. They can do it by themselves but I recommend getting an attorney to make sure that it happen sooner rather than later.

Innocent owner's defense. The owner can petition the court to release the car because they did not know the driver was suspended.

Traffic tickets topics

Recommended articles about Traffic tickets