Recently two family members died and my side of the family received nothing, is there something I can do to fix this.

Portland, OR |

My mother helped take care of these family members while they were sick. They told her for many years (before being sick) that her and I "had nothing to worry about we would be taken care of" in addition to that she said my mother deserved her antique china.

1. Did they leave wills behind, a trust. Oral statements are worthless, and what did they have that you know about?

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and I have practiced over 38 years and can be reached at 213-819-1171. I practiced mainly in Los Angeles and Orange County, California. I am not seeking clients from existing relationships with other attorneys, and give only limited advise over the phone (the phone is primarily used to set appointments), these services do not create an attorney client relationship

2. They either had wills or died intestate.
    If they had wills-they would control.
    If not-the state statutes would control.
    Verbal promises are not valid.

The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of action is to have legal representation in this matter.

3. I agree with the other attorneys, however, if you can show that the person that passed had a prior will, trust, etc. and you were included, but by virtue of some duress, undue influence, fraud, or if the person changed the will or trust after they were no longer of sufficient capacity as a result of improper act(s) by a third party upon that person or otherwise and you were excluded, you would arguably have a case. You would need to develop that evidence in order to have a chance at prevailing. You might dig a little deeper into these issues to see if there is any evidence?
    Good Luck!

Legal disclaimer:This message does not constitute legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Any statements are made for general informational purposes and do not constitute legal advice. No attorney-client privilege is created by this communication. Attorney is licensed in California only.

Wills and estates topics