Skip to main content

Recently Released

Harrisburg, PA |
Filed under: Criminal charges

I was recently released after doing four years in prison. I was told that I could get $1,000 or so from Social Security for being an incarcerated individual to get on my feet. Is this true?

Attorney Answers 3


I've never heard of that, but it should be easy enough to find out on Monday by contacting your local Social Security office.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


It is news to me as well. Most defendants released from prison have some form of supervision in the form of probation or parole, as well as a housing plan. If that is true for you as well, you might try contacting your probation officer. He or she can be an excellent source of information on social services and employment services available to you. Good luck.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


I am completely unaware of that and would be utterly shocked if that were true. I honestly think that many people on the right would be making an enormous deal if this were the case. Please let me know if you discover otherwise, but I do not believe that to be true.

This is not intended as individual legal advice and there is no attorney client relationship established by this answer. It is advisable that you seek individualized legal assistance. This is not a substitute for hiring an attorney.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics