Recently married to US Citizen . Wife's income below 125% of poverty . Can i include my income in her I - 864 ?

Harrison, NJ |
Filed under: Green cards

I am on H - B and recently married to a US Citizen . I will be filing I - 485 with I - 130 and I - 864 . My Wife's ( US citizen ) income is below the required number ( 125% of poverty ) . Her parents are wiling to co sponsor , but i am thinking of including my income with her I - 864 and not using a co sponsor . Is this a safe option ? We currently live together in a separate apartment with total household size of 2 ( me and my wife ) . I can get a letter form my employer stating my period of work and my salary . Will this be sufficient proof ?

If you are working legally then you can use your income.

Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advise and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.

Thanks Yolanda, I am legally working here since more than 4 years and i am with hy current employer since 2010. I can get an employment letter but my concern was with one of the instruction " Proof that the intending immigrant's current employment will continue from the same source if his or her income is being used.". I don't think any employer can guarantee that.

Yolanda Navarrete

Yolanda Navarrete

If that doesn't work you can use the co-sponsor. The important thing is that you are eligible to adjust. Feel free to email me at ynlawfirm@aol.com.

Thanks Yolanda.

Yolanda Navarrete

Yolanda Navarrete

My pleasure.

If your income is lawful, and it should be if you are an H visa holder, you can use that income.

Thanks Eric, I can get an employment letter but my concern was with one of the instruction " Proof that the intending immigrant's current employment will continue from the same source if his or her income is being used."

I agree with my colleagues.

--
Law Office of Alena Shautsova
2908A Emmons Ave
Brooklyn, NY 11235
Tel 917-885-2261
Fax 347-561-9008
Website www.shautsova.com
Blog www.russianspeakinglawyerny.com
Like us on Facebook @ www.facebook.com/immigrationlawyerny

Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova , New York Immigration Attorney http://www.shautsova.com Blog: http://www.russianspeakinglawyerny.com

Thanks Alena, I can get an employment letter but my concern was with one of the instruction " Proof that the intending immigrant's current employment will continue from the same source if his or her income is being used."

Alena Shautsova

Alena Shautsova

I would say that the safest option for you would be to find a joint sponsor who has sufficient funds and not trying to scramble here and there.

As long as you are lawfully present and in status on your H1B, your income can be included. A letter from your employer will be required as part of the documentatiion submitted with the I-864A you will need to complete.

It might be worth your time and trouble to consult with an experienced immmigration attorney for a full review of your circumstances.

Good luck!

This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as final, nor is it intended as legal advice. A consultation with an experienced attorney is always the best way to go.

Thanks Eugene, I can get an employment letter but my concern was with one of the instruction " Proof that the intending immigrant's current employment will continue from the same source if his or her income is being used."

Eugene J. Glicksman

Eugene J. Glicksman

Don't worry about that language. At a minimum. the letter should state your name, position, the date you started working, and your current salary.

Recommended articles about Immigration